Sunday, October 23, 2011

A series of unfortunate events

Friday after work I stopped by the Cafe to see Liz at work.  I hung out for a little bit and then made my way back up to the farm.  Just as I was pulling up to the house I saw Laurie and Sara coming out.  They said there was a cow emergency and asked if I wanted to go with.  So we all hopped into the truck with Karen and headed out to the fields. 


As we rode further out a light appeared in the distance.  As we got closer we could see that it was Billy with the tractor lights.  There was a cow stuck up to her chest in the mud.  Billy put a rope around her head and Karen got behind her.  They were having no luck so Laurie and I climbed down to help.  We got her tipped slightly to one side thinking if we could get her leg out she might be able to move free.  So we tipped a little more and they pulled out her leg.


Only to find that it was broken.  Well in farm life that leaves you at the end of the road.  She had to be put down.  Karen was talking about having David come out from Muddy Creek but I mentioned that I had some guns.  And in doing so basically volunteered for the task. 


I dropped Laurie and Sara at the house and grabbed my 10mm.  I'll spare the details but it was over shortly.  Such is life on the farm.

No comments:

Post a Comment