Monday, October 17, 2011

Winter is Coming!

The days are becoming cooler.  The nights are becoming longer.  There is snow on the mountaintops once again.  Winter in Montana is fast approaching.  The house on the farm is heated by burning wood.  As we get friendly reminders of winter it's also a reminder that we need wood.

Yesterday Sara, Billy, CJ, and I set at the task of gathering wood.  First we rode down to Rich's place, across the street.  Then we loaded up the truck with slash, the leftovers from a sawmill.

Then we brought the load back to the farm (CJ wouldn't get back in the truck so we left and he followed us).  We sawed the wood down as we unloaded to save a step.
After the first load we did the same thing for a second load.  And then we took lunch.  A special treat for us we went down to the Wilsall Cafe.  It was delicious.  But then it was back to work.  At this point we began to chop the pile we had made unloading the truck.  Several hours later we had finished splitting and stacking.

It's almost two cords.  Billy's estimation is that six cords will be needed through the winter.  We've got a good start but I sense another wood collection day in the near future.

2 comments:

  1. I miss you guys! When will your stay at Crazy View be over? It's so strange that I've been gone for so long now, and you've been there the whole time. You are all amazing. Are you planning on staying in Wilsall, or in Montana at all? I hope everything is going well for you, and for Laurie and Billy and Sara and any other WWOOFers you've got right now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. If and when you come back to Chicago, even just to visit, come find me! I'm in Andersonville. :-) I really love it so far... but I too am starting to experience the beginnings of Winter and it's a bit scary, as I know the winters here can be severe! Do you have any tips? :-) Say hi to all the animals for me. I am having flashbacks and feeling very nostalgic all the sudden. Okay, I will stop rambling now!

    ReplyDelete