Monday, June 27, 2011

Swimming, on Doctor's Orders

Posted by Boo

I'm finally starting to feel like myself again.

After knee surgery laid me out for the past couple of months, last week Liz and Dave let me run around the farm off leash for the first time since we moved here. I've been sniffing everything, playing with the other three dogs, especially my buddy CJ, and trailing all the cats around the house.

A week ago, I had a check up with a nice new vet in Livingston who performs the same surgery I had done in Fort Collins. He said I was right on track for a full recovery. I wasn't wild about the physical therapy but I'm relieved it's working. He recommended the best thing for me was to swim in a reservoir (the rivers are too dangerous now) or just wade in the water to strengthen my knee.

So yesterday they took me to Cottonwood Creek Reservoir just a few miles north of Wilsall. It's a long, beautiful reservoir, only a few feet deep across - perfect!
Dave and Liz made up a picnic lunch, grabbed a blanket and headed out around noon. The water was moving at a pretty good clip because the wind was howling but it was a perfectly clear sky with brilliant sunshine all day.
I got to swim back and forth across the res from Liz to Dave, to Liz, to Dave, and back again. Then - my favorite part - shook the water off on their legs!

After a long afternoon (nearly four hours!) of lazing in the sun with them reading, they took me home to relax, eat, and welcome home the other two dogs, Jane and Mary, from their weekend cattle-herding training camp.

I love living on the farm way more now that I don't have to be held up on the leash all the time. Freeeeedom!


PS. I miss all my family and friends and love you.

2 comments: